High Commission of India

Student Visa (Study, Research and Internship) Visa Services

Student Visa (Study, Research and Internship)

Foreigners shall obtain an appropriate Student Visa if their objective is to pursue on-campus, full time structured courses or Research in any of the educational institutions duly recognized by the Government of India.

A Student visa is granted to an individual who produces proof of admission to a full-time course in a recognized educational institution in India.

A Student (S-1) Visa may be granted for higher education (including in South Asian University and Nalanda University), provisional student visa, for short term courses, for those coming under Student Exchange Programme and for those coming to pursue education, training and skill development in Ayush practices.

A Student (S-2) Visa may be granted for those coming for School education.

Foreigners who intend to study yoga, Vedic culture, Indian system of dance, music or Buddhist studies etc., at the institutions approved by Government of India are required to hold a Student (S-3) Visa.

Foreigners arriving in India to pursue internship in Indian companies, educational institutions, NGOs, foreign missions/posts in India and foreign Government Organizations are required to obtain a Student (S-6) Visa.

In case of admission in a medical or para-medical course a letter of approval or a "No Objection Certificate" from the Ministry of Health should be submitted.

Students after their arrival in India will be required to register in the nearest FRRO/FRO within 14 days from the date of arrival. Student Visa holders are required to open NRO account (Non-Resident Ordinary) in India and the details of it needs to be furnished to FRROs/FROs during Visa extension.

Theological studies: A Student (S-4) Visa will be granted for the duration of the course or for a period of one year, whichever is less, to students who want to come to India for theological studies in the following Universities/Institutions:


  1. 1. Aligarh Muslim University, Aligarh
  2. 2. University of Kolkatta.
  3. 3. Jamia Hamdard, Hamdard Nagar, New Delhi.
  4. 4. Jamia Milia Islamia, Jamia Nagar, New Delhi
  5. 5. Osmania University, Hyderabad.
  6. 6. Gujarat University, Ahmedabad.
  7. 7. North Maharashtra University, Jalgaon.
  8. 8. University of Calicut, Calicut.
  9. 9. Kerala University, Thiruvananthapuram.
  10. 10. University of Mumbai, Mumbai.
  11. 11. M.S. University of Baroda, Vadodara.

Research Scholars/ Visiting Faculty (S-5 visa) :

Research scholars, visiting research faculty, research scholar on bilateral exchange programme, members of Botanical, Scientific, Anthropological etc. expeditions are required to hold a Student (S-5) Visa.

Documents required:

A print out of the online Visa application form has to be submitted along with following documents. No columns in the application form must be left blank by the applicant.


  • 1. Subject/Topic of the research project.
  • 2. Details of places to be visited in India during the project period.
  • 3. Original letter of admission and Certificate of Affiliation from the recognised Indian University/Institution in token of having secured admission for the research purpose. (Emails or photocopies of admission letter will not be accepted)
  • 4. Evidence of financial resources to meet the expenses for the stay in India.
  • 5. In case the research proposal relates to the applicant’s own country, a brief synopsis (150 words) and justification for doing research in India should also be submitted along with the application.
  • 6. Details of previous visits, if any.
  • 7. Copy of personal particular page of the passport.
  • 8. Copy of NRIC


  • Research Visa for OCI card holders -

Persons of Indian origin holding an OCI Card do not have to apply for a research visa. However, based on the purpose OCI holders have to upload documents on the website to apply for special permission to conduct research in India.

Please visit and apply for special permission to avoid any problem at immigration post or FRRO after arriving in India.


Internship (S-6 Visa):

Student visa will be granted to those who are coming for internship in India (in Indian companies, Educational Institutions and NGOs) including those coming under French VIE programme. Student (S-6) Visa for internship is subject to the following conditions: -

- The period of visa to be restricted to the duration of the Internship programme or one year, whichever is less.

- The Intern Visa will be granted during or immediately after completion of Graduation / Post Graduation but the gap between the completion of Graduation / Post Graduation and the commencement of the internship should not be more than one year.

- Visa to be granted on the basis of a letter from the Indian company/ Educational Institution / NGO concerned, sponsoring the foreign national for the internship programme and clearly indicating the period and place of internship.

- In case the internship is in a company, the foreign national being sponsored for internship should draw a minimum remuneration of Rs.3.60/- lakhs per annum. There will be no minimum salary limit in the case of internship in Educational Institutions and NGOs. The period of the Visa is to be restricted to the duration of the internship programme or one year, whichever is less. Moreover, The Intern Visa will be granted during or immediately after completion of Graduation/ Post Graduation but the gap between the completion of Graduation/ Post Graduation and the commencement of the internship should not be more than one year. Papers substantiating the same need to be submitted.

-    Foreign nationals granted visa for doing internship will have to register themselves with the Foreigners Regional Registration Officer (FRRO)/ Foreigners Registration Officer (FRO) concerned within 14 days of arrival in India if continuous stay is for more than 180 days. Specific endorsement to this effect will be made in the Visa sticker.

- In case of internship with NGOs, applicants are advised to apply well in advance, at least 3 months before the travel date as Visa processing takes time.

-   The foreign national will have to exit the country before the expiry of the visa. An undertaking should be obtained from the company/ organization concerned that they will ensure departure of the foreigner on completion of the internship.

-   Under no circumstances, the foreign national will be allowed to take up employment in India immediately after completion of the internship programme. Conversion of the S-6 visa into Employment visa or any other types of visa will not be permitted. In case the foreign national receives any offer for employment in India, he/she will have to go back to the country of his/her origin/ domicile and apply for ‘Employment Visa’ at the Indian Mission/ Post concerned.

-  Earnings from internship of the foreign nationals with Indian companies/ Educational Institutions/ NGOs will be subject to the Indian Income Tax Regulations.


Documents required for Intern Visa (S-6) -

i) Original passport and copy

ii) NRIC original and copy,

iii) A recommendation letter from the organization and/or educational institution/ school attending/ last attended in Singapore mentioning about the applicant's course and year of studies.

iv) Invitation letter from the company/organization in India specifying the terms and conditions of the internship including salary, period & place (city) of internship and an undertaking mentioning that the intern will leave India immediately after internship and will not take up any employment during or after the internship.


Processing Time:

Normally 8 – 10 days. All student visa applications are initially accepted for pre-approvals only.

Where to apply: Authorised Visa Application Centres

           Visa fees : Click here 

Note : List of recognized institutions are available and List of institutes approved by All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE) is available on their website