High Commission of India

Research Visa Visa Services

Research Visa

Research Visas are given to Research Professors or Scholars, who wish to conduct the research work in India. When the Research visa is approved, the dependent family members of the research scholar are granted Entry Visa for a similar duration.

Visa will be issued for a period of three years or for the duration of the research project whichever is earlier. The total period of the visa will be restricted to the duration of the project approved by the University/Institute of affiliation or five years whichever is less. If required, extension for an additional period of not more than 06 months as the last & final extension even after the completion of the project may be given (by the Foreigners Regional Registration Office) to enable the research scholar to complete the final formalities of the research project.

Documents required: A print out of the online Visa application form has to be submitted along with following documents. No columns in the application form must be left blank by the applicant. Give details of previous visits to India.

(a)Subject/topic of the research project.
(b)Details of places to be visited in India during the project period.
(c)Letter of admission and Certificate of Affiliation in original from the recognised Indian University/Institution in token of having secured admission for the research purpose.
(d)Evidence of financial resources to meet the expenses to meet the stay in India.
(e)In case the research proposal relates to the applicant's own country, a brief synopsis (150 words) and justification for doing research in India should also be submitted along with the application.
(f)Copy of personal particular page of the passport.

Where to apply: Authorised Visa Application Centres

Visa fees and processing time: Click here

OCI/PIO Card does not entitle the card holder to do research work in India without special permission from the Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India. OCI/PIO card holders can carry out research in India only after taking special permission from Ministry of Home Affairs.